Friday, July 5, 2013

Best. Day. Ever.




P H O T O P H I L C R O



!
We did it! Last weekend on June 29, exactly one year a part from moving into our first home, Mike and I tied the knot! And our wedding was THEE BEST! ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY AMAZING! FLIPPIN' FANTASTIC! BEYOND AWESOME!

We had been thinking positively for sun and getting lots of prayers for good weather and we totally got it. The entire event went so perfectly that I often can't believe that the day was even real. Seriously pinch me!

Being a very small wedding, we had a ton of help from family and our bridesbabes and groomsdudes. Everyone pitched in to get all of the props and wedding decor set up, bouquets made, pre-wedding food prepared etc. Although the decoration list and OCD agenda I had typed up was a bit intimidating everyone pulled together with enthusiasm to get everything accomplished and Mike and I were just so thankful.

I had a bit of an artistic vision for this special day... something along the lines of a Cute Romantic Summery Woodsy Handmade Wedding. Thanks to Pinterest, I think every 'pinning' bride has higher than average expectations of how their wedding should look. I was no exception! And let me tell you, the end result was even more beautiful than I had imagined. A HUGE thank you to everyone involved in making this day possible for us. We couldn't have done it without your hard work and love.

Some wedding details?

The ceremony was located in this beautiful little outdoor chapel at Camp Douglas in Roberts Creek. It was in the cutest forest off the beach that Mike and I stumbled upon during a walk back in February (back when our plan was to elope in May). But this little piece of heaven caught our attention and we knew we had to get hitched at this location.

As for that hand-made look I had envisioned - I made all of the decorations over the course of two months and had spent many days curating the 'look' I was going for. If we were going to do this, we were gonna do it right! hehe :) And I must add, as much as planning a wedding is stressful and not super enjoyable, I really did love making all of the little touches that made our day so gorgeous.

Walking up the aisle I was so nervous... not to marry Mikey but just to be in front of everyone saying vows and trying not to cry out of happiness or fumble on words. I knew that if I started to cry I might not stop so I had some back up tissue just in case!

But as soon as I was across from Mike I couldn't wipe the silly happy grin off my face and I was passed the point of shedding happy tears. He looked so fricking handsome and we both just smiled so big at each other in between saying our vows. Repeating the words after the marriage commissioner went by like a breeze and before we knew it we were pronounced husband and wife.

The whole ceremony felt surreal - in a good way! It was seriously like a dream.

We were also so fortunate to have my good friend Phil as our photographer and he sure made capturing special moments memorable and entertaining. Everyone was getting into the group shots and it was just so fun to see people let loose and have a good time. Even if having their photo taken and 'snugglin' in close was not their thing! :)

The reception was held in classic Creeker style at the Gumboot Café where our fabulous friends and family had helped decorate prior to our arrival. The place looked so gorgeous when Mike and I finally walked in. I could have cried it looked so good! :)

The night was filled with lots of laughs, great food, entertaining stories, photo booth fun and loads of dancing. We sincerely could not have asked for a better day. It was perfect.

Now if only I could somehow relive it over and over whenever I wanted to!

Dear life: Can I get a rewind button!?

P H O T O P H I L C R O







!
The day was so good that by the time we got to our B&B Mike was in a total state of disbelief at how awesome everything had been. He couldn't stop raving about it and we both felt so on top of cloud 9 that we wondered if the day had actually happened. We also had some great compliments from our friends and family who said that it had been the best wedding they had been to, which made us beam even more. We were just so thrilled that a good time was had and that it went so swimmingly.

At the end of the night somewhere between 1:30 and 2:30 am while gazing up at the stars from our B&B's hot tub I felt so thankful. I felt so happy to have married my best friend. I felt so much love for Mike and everyone that had been a part of our day. I was overcome with joy and was welling up with those happy/teary emotions for the second time that night (first time was thanks to Tanis' moving speech). I just felt so insanely stupidly happy and lucky!

Suddenly a shooting star crossed the sky in my moment of life-drunk gratitude. And because it happened just so perfectly at a time where I was feeling SO good - I took this shooting star as a sign. It was the only time in the entire day that cancer came up in my mind and I felt a deep-seated desperation and longing for my life to continue on this positive course.

No more cancer. Just love and happiness. "Please let me have this." I thought. "Just please let me have this life."

The next day we had the pleasure of joining everyone once again at Mike's parents place for a post-wedding brunch. It was like an endless celebration and I wished so badly that no one had to leave that day.

But soon the newlyweds were solo that night and we were so incredibly exhausted but so very happy. So happy in fact that I realized that I had completely forgotten to take my Tamoxifen the night of the wedding! It was the first time in 8 months of being on that hot-flash inducing hormone-blocker drug that I forgot to take it. I couldn't help but laugh in the face of cancer then because it just showed how truly enthralled I was in the day. I loved that out of all the times to forget taking my pill - it was on our wedding day. Not even having to consciously push cancer reminders/thoughts out of my mind was like a gift. The sweetness of our wedding gave me a little peek at what life is like to be really happy and care-free again for the first time in a long time.

For that reason I have felt quite honestly a bit down that the wedding celebrations are over... The high I was on I am slowly coming down from. I am still definitely basking in the after-glow of it all but that care-free feeling I had has somewhat diminished. We are back to reality this week... Mike's working, I'm facing paperwork, physician follow-ups, therapists and case managers. I think I feel a bit nostalgic too because the build up to the wedding was just so intense, the day came and suddenly it was done. Someone reassured me this week that it is common for a bride to feel post-wedding blues. It makes sense. After all, it is one of the happiest days of your life, the work leading up to it takes months and then it is over in a flash. Just like that.

But I know for Mike and I - it really felt that for two full days we were living in this perfect movie - starring one lucky girl and one lucky guy. It was a magical time in our lives that will always be remembered in our hearts. Like a really good dream or a sweet fairytale - only it was beautifully real and true.

Nothing but pure in the moment wedding bliss.

LOVE IT.

P H O T O P H I L C R O





!
All images: P H O T O P H I L C R O - Photography by Phil Crozier
Fairytale quote + heart shaped rocks: A gift from my sweet friend Cécile
Chalkboard art + wedding decor: Me :)








6 comments:

  1. I'm SO happy for you!! And what a gorgeous looking and sounding wedding. I hope you and Mike it is just love, love, love and the drama of this past year is left far behind in the dust.

    Good luck and wishing you loads of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a BEAUTIFUL day and a wonderful post. I'm so happy for you and so glad to hear about your special day. Sending love and light from the road! Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri! Thank you so much... I get so giddy just looking back at these pictures :)

      Delete
  3. Aw Ashley, what a beautiful post. My eyes welled up a bit reading it. What a wonderful and special day. You made me even more excited for my own wedding day! The planning is stressful like you said, but such a welcomed distraction from everything else that has been happening in our lives. Again, more congratulations to you and Mike. I am so happy for the both of you. xoxo. - Jessi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much lady! The planning stress is all worth it in the end... I also did not realize you were getting married! So exciting!!! xo

      Delete