Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Cancerversary & A Throwback



Today marks a year since I was told I had breast cancer. I know, I know I said I was done with 2012... but I just started to look back at my photos for the first time since the big C entered my life. I couldn't help but gather a few pictures up to document what I was going through a year ago. And of course I couldn't NOT post about my cancer anniversary date. It is, after all, a day I will never forget.


 
From that awful first week of diagnosis, my first pixie hair cut, family visits... to the day before surgery, post-operation and recovery. Today I can state the obvious and say I am absolutely in a much better space than I was back then! 

I feel proud that I got through those first few scary months. And oh boy what a crazy terrifying time it was.  

I now can't help but laugh at the irony that I happened to be diagnosed in the beginning of January...at the start of a new year where things are generally supposed to be hopeful, new and fresh... The whole New Year occasion now brings a completely different meaning for me. It's hard to really explain... it's almost a bit of a re-birth in a sense.

Looking back, I can't believe I made it through all that. 

Looking forward, I am hopeful for a happier and healthier 2013! 

6 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to read that you're in a better space than back then! I can not wait to be there! But your story always give me hope that I can pull it off as well! I love how you describe the new year as a re-birth... that sounds perfect! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You WILL pull it off!! Of course love! xoxox
      Sending you hugs always.

      Delete
  2. Hey Ashley, I think of you lots and I wish you a New Year filled with happiness, health and healing. jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn :) Happy New Year to you as well!

      I have to be honest though... i dont know which Jenn this is! lol... I know a few jenns and a few karens and often I dont know which one is commenting!

      Delete
  3. Happy to find your blog. It's been a year since my surgery. A year and a half since I was diagnosed. It's been six months since I finished chemo. I celebrate all these days like holidays now, I celebrate how much better those dates are now than they used to be. Any excuse to celebrate, please! :)

    bookmarking you. It's hard to find ladies my age that have been through this hell.

    <3 kamina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kamina! If you are who I think you are... I believe I follow you on Instagram and you are quite the amazingly gifted photographer! :)

      It sounds like we had similar timelines... I have actually been following your blog for awhile now too... although I am crazy behind on my reading these days.

      Hope you are hanging in there. xo

      – Ashley

      Delete